|The Forest Glen train station was built in 1887,
about the same time as the hotel. It was designed by E.F. Baldwin, who was the
architect of many other railroad stations in the area. Baldwin is buried at nearby
St. John's Church.
In addition to the building shown above, there was also a roofed platform on the other side of the tracks. A tunnel under the tracks allowed passengers to cross safely from one side to the other.
The present-day train tracks are several yards to the west of where they are in this picture. All that's left of the train station are the foundations of the platforms, and the tops of the walls of the tunnels can be seen (although the tunnels are filled in). It was demolished in the 1950's by the B&O Railroad due to lack of use. When the Capital Beltway was constructed, the rails themselves were moved on top of the previous site of the station.
The footpath went down the hill from the train station.
This page was last maintained on 05/21/98.