Edgewood Plantation House

The Edgewood plantation house

Edgewood was the name of the plantation house which may have been built before 1800. At one time when it was owned by the Brent family, it was a tobacco plantation. Since tobacco depletes the soil, within a few decades the tobacco was of poor quality. Edgewood had only 200 acres, smaller than its neighbor the Highlands, which had 700 acres. However, the Edgewood plantation house was unusually grand for a Maryland plantation, and was more typical of the type of house one associates with the cotton plantations in the deep South, for instance. There were at least five slave cabins on the property.

a slave cabin near Edgewood house

The property passed from the Brents to Theodore Mosher to John M. Johnson, and finally to Charles M. Keys, who had operated a coal, wood, and feed business in Washington. (Many of these families are buried nearby, at St. John's Church.) The Keys family kept it for over 80 years. Charles Keys' sons, Frank and Enos, raised a number of successful race horses on the farm.

Finally, in 1928, the house and 150 acres was sold to Dr. Ament. He renamed his entire real estate holdings, including the Seminary and what had been Edgewood estate, Amentdale Estates. The Edgewood name was kept alive by giving it to another house which stood across what is now Woodstock Court from the Theta Mission clubhouse.

A Maypole dance on the lawn of Edgewood

The front lawn of Edgewood provided a perfect setting for a Maypole dance for the NPS students. In order to make the Seminary self-sufficient, most of the land was used as a dairy farm, and barns were constructed about 100 yards to the right of the house in the picture above. The barn buildings are still there today, as is a long building in which Mrs. Ament raised angora rabbits. The Army razed the house in the late 1960s, to make way for a new Commissary building.
[aafooter_stuff.html]

This page was last maintained on 05/21/98.